New Process for Sportfishing and Nautical FMMs

Nautical and Sportfishing FMM for Mexico -

If you are traveling by boat down to Baja, by law you need to have a nautical FMM tourist permit every time you enter Mexican waters. The officials have been cracking down on boats and you will be required to show your fishing license and nautical FMM. There is a new online process where you can apply and pay online for a nautical sportfishing tourist FMM. FMMs cost $306 pesos per person. You can pay by Visa or MasterCard.

Go to Click on “English” on the far right top hand corner. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the red “Sport Fishing And Nautical Tourism” icon. This will take you to a page explaining the steps (listed below) that you need to take to obtain your nautical FMM.


Steps to Follow:

1. Go to where you can find a form that you can download (the first link listed at the bottom – “Sample Form for submission of lists of maritime passengers and crew members”) and enter in your own information for your vessel, entry and departure information, and a list of passengers that will be on board.

2. Then go to where you will fill out personal and vessel information and will pay for passengers. The fee is $306.00 pesos per person.

3. Email both the passenger list document and the receipt showing proof of payment from the Banjercito site to the local INM delegation in Ensneada at:

4. Applicants will receive an email from INM either authorizing the trip or denying entry to Mexico.

5. The authorizing email will contain INM’s permit to enter as a Visitor without Permission to Perform Paid Activities. The length of stay will cover the amount of time asked for on the application, yet such shall not exceed 180 days nor may it be used for multiple entries and departures. A copy will be sent to the Secretary of the Navy (SEMAR) and to the Secretary of Communications and Transportation (SCT.)


FMMs are valid for 180 days but are not good for multiple entry – they are for single use only. If you are NOT going to be within 12 miles of land with the boat, you do not need to have an FMM.

As of 2014, all boats over 15 feet entering Mexican wanters need to have a temporary boat importation permit. For more information, see our page HERE.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s